All CONSULTATIONS are confidential and completely no-obligation to you. We serve Southfield, Oakland County, metro Detroit, and the entire State of Michigan.
SOUTHFIELD SEXUAL ASSAULT LAWYER
Accused? Our Expert Team Offers the Defense Strategy You Need.
If you have been arrested or accused of sexual assault, you will need to speak with Southfield sex crime attorney Mark Satawa. Having an experienced, knowledgeable, and skilled legal professional on your side of the courtroom can help ensure your story is heard. At Satawa Law, PLLC, we have specifically devoted our practice to defending individuals who have been accused of sex crimes and sexual assaults. We fully recognize that unexpected allegations can be thrown your way – and it is devastating when these allegations are untruthful, unfounded, and flat out wrong. Just the mere allegation can be change your life forever, and disrupt your job, your career, your home, your family, your reputation, and your future. If you would like to speak with us about your case and what can be done to win your specific situation, contact our offices at (248) 356-8320 today for your free, confidential consultation.
WHAT QUALIFIES AS SEXUAL ASSAULT?
If you are uncertain about what your future holds at this time, do not think you are alone. Our clients often have questions about what types of charges they are actually facing. The State of Michigan categorizes sexual assault into four different degrees and defines what actually qualifies as sexual assault. These qualifications are detailed in the Michigan Penal Code (750.520a) and are quickly summarized below.
SEXUAL ASSAULT IN MICHIGAN IS DEFINED IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS:
- THE ACTOR: This is the person who has been accused of performing some type of criminal conduct that is sexual in nature.
- INTIMACY: Michigan defines intimate parts primarily as the genitals, groin, breasts, buttocks, or thigh.
- CONTACT: Intimacy or contact that is sexual involves deliberately touching another person’s intimate parts. In many instances, this can also include deliberately touching another person’s clothes that may cover intimate parts with the purpose of sexual arousal.
- PENETRATION: Is the intrusion of one person’s intimate parts by any other part of another person’s body. Any entry, no more matter how slight, is enough.
- FIRST DEGREE CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT is defined as penetration using force or coercion, with one or more aggravating factors, such as age, position of authority, or physical/psychological injury. The penalty is up to life.
- SECOND DEGREE CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT is defined as sexual contact using force or coercion, with one or more aggravating factors. The penalty is up to 15 years in prison.
- THIRD DEGREE CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT is defined as penetration using force or coercion, without any aggravating factor. The penalty is up to 15 years in prison.
- FOURTH DEGREE CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT is defined as sexual contact using force or coercion, without any aggravating factor. The penalty is up to 2 years in prison.
Depending on the severity of the alleged crime, an individual can be charged with first, second, third, or fourth-degree sexual assault or criminal sexual conduct.
SPEAK WITH US & REQUEST A CONFIDENTIAL CONSULTATION
If you have been arrested or accused of sexual assault, our team of Southfield sex crime lawyers are ready to help defend your rights and protect your future. We understand the life-changing nature of these types of allegations. We never judge or assume; rather, we immediately start to try and determine the best way to win that case. We do that while providing our clients with the empathetic and compassionate guidance they need to get through this difficult time.
We have won the majority of the many cases we have defended at trial, and can use our extensive experience and experience to help you as well. Do not wait for the police or prosecutors to make the first move. Speak with our Southfield defense team now, and allow us to put our knowledge, skill, and expertise to good use.
There are a wide range of defense strategies that we can employ:
- Computer forensics
- Lack of evidence
- Proof of consent
THE BEST DEFENSE STRATEGY IS AN AGGRESSIVE OFFENSE
Simply put, we are not afraid to take on prosecutors. We know that a relentless, effective, and well-thought out defense strategy will be critical to the success of a case. Because we always prepare every case extensively from the very beginning of our representation, we can offer persuasive rebuttals to any allegations brought by the Prosecution. We developed a multi-disciplinary approach, using a team of professionals to investigate and prepare our defense – experts, psychologists, lawyers, trial consultants, investigators, and jury consultants to prepare our client and our case for trial. We employ mock trials, practice direct and cross examinations, focus groups, client reenactments, and interview every possible witness to leave no trial stone unturned, and put the case in the best position to be won. When falsely accused of a crime, we demand that our clients to be treated fairly and equally by the justice system. We defend their rights, and protect their future.